Thursday, October 23, 2008

Trust 'em

As you may have guess...i'm picky boy and especially about food then i don't often go to eat "com sinh vien", student's rice. Last week, a bit crazy i accepted to go with some colleagues there, actually for a "bun cha" (a 'soup' with grilled pork and 'bun' noodles).

An appetizing bun cha: noodle, pork 'soup' & 'salad'

Despite a cockroach welcomed us, it was really good and really cheap (1$, but quite small) and i even didn't get sick after that!

Often my housemate told me it's safer to eat in the street or buy at markets than going to some supposedly good restaurants. I might tend to try it more often but it's not that easy. Most of the street restaurant have only one dish and... i dislike most of the dishes ><>


After the meal, we went to "ca fe" as usual. I was facing the inside while my colleagues were having some greedy stares at some foreigner girls outside. For some reason they said "2000" or "1000" and i asked why. The answer is : "in Vietnam you can buy handful of Xoi (sticky rice) of different size... '1000'  is small while '5000' is the biggest one" and they added " but you have to take care of the importance of the sheets"... 99% of the time, young vietnamese girls give "some" help to their breast.

Finally, we went for some serious foot massage... altogether in a room so no possibility of bonus ;). It was a really nice and cheap place; the masseuses were laughing all the time with my colleagues (50% of the time was about me...).

Conclusion: even though you are very picky and relunctant like me you have to trust your local colleagues/friends to try new (possibly disgusting) things!


... next entry might be "Don't trust 'em". ;-)

2 comments:

TAO said...

When I go to Chicago I always visit Asian friends and they take me to Argyle Street which I refer to as "Little Vietnam" and we always eat lunch there.

They always order me the same thing, something called a "Vietnamese Pancake" which is like a crepe with bean sprouts and shrimp inside and then chicken noodle soup....

One time I even said, "...I think I want to try something different..." and they said, "..oh, good..." and then when the food came it was the same thing! :)

Ido said...

Haha ;), i don't know vietnamese reastaurant abroad but here most of the restaurant are specialized and offer only 1 or a very few dishes. I mean "street restaurants" if you go to 'bia hoi' or upper class restaurant you'll be able to choose.